Thursday, March 1, 2007

Hello World!

Deployed a hello-world midlet minutes ago on my Nokia E61.

And I'm itching to say a few words on the book I've been following this far. "Programming Java 2 Micro Edition for Symbian OS". With all due respect to the authors, the way this book takes off is disappointing. I believe a tutorial should **always** start with a hello-world, and just a hello-world, not a hello-I-was-hoping-maybe kind of a hello. Had to read over 70 pages of plain text to get to the first piece of code, and I just couldn't make it work. A simple hello-world is all a beginner needs. One can always get ambitious later.

To put the credit where it's due, here's the link to where I finally got what I needed. Couldn't thank the guy enough. My eyes had almost popped out of the sockets and the world was 'bout to end, when he saved them both.

JWT's got this small IDE to automate the build and config process. When I tried to deploy the package as is, I got some unknown-file kind of an error. And I was at sea. Next thing I did I looked into the settings of a jad of some app I had on my machine and compared it to that of mine. Changed MIDP 2.1 and CLDC 1.1 to MIDP 2.0 and CLDC 1.0 respectively. It worked.

That taken care of, here's my dev environment:
1. Windows XP SP2.
2. JRE 1.5.0_11.
3. Sun JWT 2.5 for CLDC.
4. Emacs 22.0.50.1.
5. Two chairs. (Blue and red. I sit on the blue one and rest my feet on the red. )
6. Sony FM Walkman.

Am gonna watch some TV now. Enough for the day.

No comments: